Wednesday, July 26, 2017

I heart Jane Austen 1775 – 1817

I have always loved the idea of reading the great writers of the 18th century – At times I even finished a novel or two. Jane Austen always explored the reasons why women of that time depended on the bagging of a 'good' husband to not only provide but to also increase their social standing. This is an interesting concept for the 21st century and one that would, I'm sure, be completely abhorred by most modern day women....  But when you get down to the nitty gritty is this really the case?? – Are women so liberated and independent that this outdated concept in now redundant? ... Mmmm
In the meantime I love collecting these clothbound classic books - a special edition collection illustrated by the talented Coralie Bickford-Smith -  just wish I had time to read them all. Purchased in Waterstones Cork, the mother of all bookshops (www.waterstones.com). Prices from EUR18.00.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, we would love to hear from you please leave us a little message